Cream Coconut Layer Cake Recipe and Cooking Instructions
This is a fantastic double layer cake for all those with a coconut sweet tooth. It takes less than 12 minutes to prepare, 22 minutes to bake, and yields about 12 servings. It is also Atkins friendly, low calorie, and unbelievably delicious. Costs under $10 for ingredients.
- 8 Eggs
- 3/4 cups Sugar substitute (such as granular Splenda)
- 1 tbsp Coconut extract
- 2/3 cup Atkins Bake Mix (or substitute)
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 6 egg Whites
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1-1/2 cups Unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper; grease again. With an electric mixer on high, beat eggs, sugar substitute and extract until ribbons form, about 5 minutes.
- In three additions, sift bake mix over egg mixture; fold in with a rubber spatula to combine. Fold in butter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake FOR 22 minutes until cake springs back in middle when lightly touched. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Line racks with paper towels and invert cake layers. Gently peel off parchment. Cool completely.
- For frosting: In a double boiler or a bowl placed over simmering water, whisk egg whites, sugar substitute and salt until temperature reaches 130 degrees. Transfer whites to mixing bowl and beat on high speed until cool. Reduce speed to medium and beat in butter until well combined.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate. Mix 1 cup frosting with half the coconut; frost bottom layer. Place top cake layer over bottom layer. Cover top and sides with remaining frosting. Pat remaining coconut over frosting.
Nutrition information per serving:
- 450 calories
- 10 grams protein
- 34 grams fat
- 3 grams carbohydrate
- 2 grams fiber
- 230 milligrams cholesterol
- 150 milligrams sodium